Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Everybody's A Goddamn Comedian

More fun from James Taranto over at WSJ.

Mixing It Up

During his press conference last week, President-elect Obama discussed the dog he's promised his daughters. He mentioned that he'd have to get a hypoallergenic breed. "Our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously, a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me."
It was a charming reference to his own diverse racial and ethnic heritage--and some people are taking offense, the Boston Globe reports (last item):

One of the most thought-out [complaints] is from a woman who runs a blog for mothers of Korean-American children. "I've heard mixed-race people use that term to describe themselves before, usually in the same ha-ha way Obama did. I've also heard it thrown around as an insult, a pejorative, a slur. I've felt the slap of that word across my face" she wrote. "My fear, however, is that Obama, as the first mixed-race president, will shape the way most Americans view people of mixed race for at least a generation. And will Obama calling himself a 'mutt'--with humor, as if the word is nothing, nothing at all--make it socially acceptable for people to start calling me a mutt? My kids?"

So what is the politically correct term? Mongrel-American?

No comments:

Post a Comment