Saturday, January 31, 2009

Digression Analysis

I forgot I had wanted to post this awhile back. It's a little more nuanced that "what's the fucking point of dividing by one?" but I think the idea is the same.

A math grad
by Dan Brown

Math’s a matter some make
More of than the norm. I’m
Thinking of a math grad
I shared a loft with for a time.
Who a while back had had a break-
Down, he once confessed from bed

To bed. Nothing he thought about
A lot… . He pauses. Then goes on
To speak, sane-seemingly enough,
Of a funny class of functions. One
Whose characteristic graph starts out
With the usual smooth take-off,

Somewhere along the line goes
Into a beauty of a loop-
De-loop for whatever reason, then
Picks its rising right up
Where it left off, and never does
Anything like that again.

1 comment:

  1. It seems funny to me...this kind of language is usually reserved for things we can't explain...yet we did create math...but it somehow retains this magical quality...why is that? Is it because so much of math is based on things that occur naturally? In a way I guess it's not like we just created it out of thin air..but then you try and do math and.....do I make any sense?

    ReplyDelete