Monday, August 11, 2008

Polymeme, meme, meme, meme, meme........

I decided to google the world-renouned Back Porch Burner. Some website called Polymeme has linked us to a story about China's Great Firewall. The site is barely a month old, but may be interesting. I don't have high hopes.

I see Dawkin's "memes" basically as the sociobiological equivalent of the identity property of multiplication. It is an "operation" on a concept which yields nothing informative or interesting about the the original concept (Vinny, it's also dividing by 1, I know how much you love that idea). It's "absolute" science. Manifest objectivity. Allowing emotionless consideration of anything communicable. What could be more powerful?

The problems are obvious. We are people, we (will) have emotions.

Memetics is a signpost for ulterior motives.

I wonder what a website based around the idea of memes could hope to accomplish. I think I'll try to find out regardless.

3 comments:

  1. http://polymeme.com/calendar/2008/08/4

    That's the address of our reference.

    SAWRRRY GAWYS!

    ~toot toot

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how BPB is known around the world? That post? Depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My website has a first name its p-o-l-y...my website has a second name its m-e-m-e...so when you don't want to take responsability, just blame it on a meme. Cause Richard Dawkins has a way with p-r-e-t-e-n-s-e.

    ReplyDelete